Many families visit the zoo in the summertime. Kids are out of school and parents are looking for activities that are interesting, provide a learning experience and wear kids out! But the change of season – with its cooler temperatures and zoo activities – make for a great zoo trip. Whether you’re looking for a fall break idea or a family getaway during Christmas break, we’ve rounded up our five reasons to visit the North Carolina Zoo this fall and winter.
While Visiting the Zoo, Stay in a Cabin in Asheboro
Jellystone Park in Asheboro is the closest campground to the North Carolina Zoo. Located at 964 Crestview Church Rd., just three miles from the entrance. We are a popular spot for families looking for fall and winter getaway ideas in Asheboro. The cabins in Asheboro NC Jellystone Park™ are well-appointed, comfortable and have most of the same conveniences – including cable TV and free WiFi – of a hotel room. However, cabins offer more privacy, space, and ambiance. Plus, you have access to amenities like hiking and biking trails and each cabin gets one FREE NC ZOO TICKET. See our list of 6 Reasons to Stay in a Cabin versus a Hotel for why you should try a cabin for your next trip!
- Animals are more active – The stifling North Carolina heat makes the animals move slower in summertime. You may find them lazing under a tree’s shade, trying to stay cool. But when the weather moves into fall, animals become more active which gives visitors the opportunity to see them doing things like running and wrestling. They’re also more curious and interactive with visitors. According to the North Carolina Zoo’s website, all the Zoo’s seasonal attractions are open September through October, depending upon weather. Kidzone, Garden Friends and Gorilla playgrounds are open year-round.
- Boo at the Zoo – The Zoo hosts many events throughout the year and Boo at the Zoo is one of our favorites. Typically held the last weekend in October, visitors dress up in costumes for safe daytime Halloween fun. There’s trick or treat games, live music and entertainment, face painting, animal encounters and a children’s costume contest.
- Fall Foliage – The animals are the main draw, but the zoo is also nicely landscaped and has a park-like setting. With five miles of walking trails, you’ll have plenty of opportunity to do some leaf-peeping. Peak time for fall foliage in Asheboro is late October-early November.
- Art in the Park – Nestled among the animal exhibits, you’ll find a public art exhibition on display throughout the zoo. The zoo describes it as, “Different styles, different artists and different forms invite visitors to embark on unique journeys of personal discovery and exploration.” It includes animal sculptures, abstract sculptures, paintings, murals and more.
- “Believe” Christmastime Event – It’s a magical time of year and the zoo hosts “Believe” – a holiday event complete with visits from Santa and Mrs. Claus (plus photos!), ornament crafting, face painting, carousel rides and more.
Ready to Plan your Trip to North Carolina Zoo?
Visit the zoo’s website for the most up-to-date hours and admission information. Then you can book a cabin online or call 336-964-0813. If you have questions or need help selecting the right cabin, our reservation staff is happy to assist! We are a family-owned and operated campground and pride ourselves on great customer service. We’re here to ensure you a wonderful time at Jellystone Park and look forward to seeing you!